Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
joel joel is offline

Default Date Time formatting problem

Did you save the file as CSV? CSF doesn't support formating or formulas. A
CSV file is really a text file that you can view with a text ditor like
notepad.

"sgl" wrote:

Hi all,
I am using Excel 2003 with Vista Business.
International settings and date/time format set to United States.

I am setting a "custom format" in a cell as dd mmm yy hh:mm. When the cell
is empty the Type Function evaluates to 1 (numeric). I enter a date and time
say 1/1/08 23:45 and this appears in the cell in exactly the same manner. The
Type Function changes automatically and now evaluates to 2 as Text.

If I enter a date without a time say 1/1/08 this appears as 1 Jan 08
00:00:00 (using same format as before dd mmm yy hh:mm). In the formula bar it
appears as 01 01 2008 12:00:00 AM.

I have workbooks developed in Excel 2000 with Windows XP which were working
fine. Now with the same WkBks, but using Excel 2003, all of a sudden nothing
with date/time in the same cell works. All formats have converted to Text.
calculations cannot be performed.

Am I missing something here which has changed between systems??
Thanks in advance/sgl