Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
BigB BigB is offline

Default Home key behavior question

I just made the transition from Excel97 to Excel 2007 and am
struggling with the usage of the home key. For years I have been
using a bank balance journal that I created with Excel97. The sheet
contains 5 columns (A-E) and is protected with the cells in columns A-
D unlocked and the cells in column E locked. When this spread is open
in Excel97 the home key will make the cell in column A of current row
active. When open in Excel 2007 the home key activates the first
unlocked cell in column A (A7 in my case as A1 thru E6 are locked). I
have tried recreating the sheet from scratch in Excel 2007 but as soon
as I protect the sheet the home key behavior changes to the first
unlocked cell rather than the first cell in the current row. Anyone
know if there is a way to fix this?

FWIW, the "Transition navigation keys" setting in Excel
OptionsAdvancedLotus compatibility is disabled.

FYI, I unlock cells then protect sheet to facilitate data entry as
this configuration causes the tab key to advance to the next available
unlocked cell.