Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Thomas Dziuk Thomas Dziuk is offline

Default Building a table from a list on another worksheet

That works except for one thing, not all sites have services listed for them,
we are moving to having one entry per service/location in the system, but for
now we just had a Service and if it was offered multiple places we didn't
give it a location, so some of my locations dont show up on they pivot yet,
but I want to be able to track which combinations are still needed to be
filled it.

"Conan Kelly" wrote:

Thomas Dziuk,

It looks like Pivot tables would be perfect for what you are trying to
accomplish.

In help (or google), type "Pivot Tables" and learn every thing you can from
them.

For XL 2003 (not familiar with XL 2007):
- Place your currsor somewhere in your list data.
- "Data" menu "PivotTable and PivotChart Report..." sub-menu
- If you want, you can step through each step and read everything w/o making
any changes...or you can just click "Finish" button right from the start.
- From the "PivotTable Field List" window/pane/what-have-you:
- Drag the "Service" column to the "Drop Row Fields Here" section.
- Drag the "Site" column to the "Drop Column Fields Here" section.
- Drag your numbered column to the "Drop Data Items Here" section.

HTH,

Conan

"Thomas Dziuk" wrote in message
I am trying to build a visual reference table to represent a list of
services
available at different sites. I can grab from our database a list with
three
fields that include a Unique Number, Service Name, and Site. What I am
trying
to do is make sure that all the combinations we need in the system. So I
am
trying to build a table that will show for each Service/Location
combination
we are expecting that there is an entry in the system for it.

What I need to do Is make this:
Service Site
Name NE E SE
Eating 1 4
Swimming 2 3

From This:
1 Eating NE
2 Swimming NE
3 Swimming E
4 Eating SE

I have played around with different functions but I can't get the correct
number to show up in the table from the list instead for example it will
show
rule number 1 in the table for Eating at SE because that is where Eating
first shows up.