Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Loadmaster Loadmaster is offline

Default unions, intersections or array constants

Thank-you Rick, It worked also, I guess I will remember the day my
spreadsheet was completed on my 48th Birthday when the last conditional
format <30 or 300 is complete.

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

If your entries are not well controlled and if you want to protect against
the problem I outlined in my previous posting, then these formulas should
work for you...

For Blue
===============
=AND($AK$2<"",$AK$2<"*",SEARCH("*"&$AK$2&"*","*J AN*MAR*MAY*JUL*SEP*NOV*"))

For Green
===============
=AND($AK$2<"",$AK$2<"*",SEARCH("*"&$AK$2&"*","*F EB*APR*JUN*AUG*OCT*DEC*"))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Rick Rothstein" wrote in message
One thing to watch out for in Biff's formulas... if your entries are not
well controlled, there is a remote possibility of getting false hits. For
example, if your user enters MarMay in AK2, the that cell will turn blue.
As structured, if your user types in any substring from
"JANMARMAYJULSEPNOV" (such as the MarMay I used) or from
"FEBAPRJUNAUGOCTDEC", then those substrings will be considered a hit.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"T. Valko" wrote in message
Use the Formula Is option and use these formulas:

For Blue:

=AND($AK$2<"",SEARCH($AK$2,"JANMARMAYJULSEPNOV"))

For Green:

=AND($AK$2<"",SEARCH($AK$2,"FEBAPRJUNAUGOCTDEC"))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Loadmaster" wrote in message
I am trying to make a conditional formatting formula in cell A3 that goes
something like this =$AK$2=JAN, MAR, MAY, JUL, SEP, NOV to format Blue
and
=$AK$2=FEB, APR, JUN, AUG, OCT, DEC to format Green. It keeps coming up
with
"You may not use unions, intersections or array constants for
conditional
formatting criteria. Cell A3 and cell AK2 both have array fomulas. Is
there a
solution to make this work?