Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dottled Dottled is offline

Default formula for totals in column C if they are words rather than n

Thank you for being an ordinary user and helping me - as you probably know if
you don't use software for a long time you forget and it doesn't help that
i'm a self taught user, so people like you who are so important to other
ordinary users.

"Francis" wrote:

to count the total of occurence of each stage
use =COUNTIF(C2:C10,"Suspend") or
use a cell to hold the criteria, eg D2
=COUNTIF(C2:C10,D2)

to sum the values on on another column eg Col. B based on these conditions
use =SUMIF(C2:C10,"suspend",B1:B9) or
use a cell to hold the condition, eg D2
=SUMIF(C1:C9,D2,B1:B9)

--
Hope this is helpful

Pls click the Yes button below if this post provide answer you have asked

Thank You

cheers, francis

Am not a greek but an ordinary user trying to assist another

"Dottled" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet and column C has words like suspended, authorised,
pending etc - can I create a formula to total the different states?