Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
HpyTrvlr69 HpyTrvlr69 is offline

Default Excel 2003 -??

Thats right Jim. However, you could be creative depending upon your need.
Here is a possibility that requires a little setup:
in a blank worksheet -

at cell A6, type formula '=ADDRESS(ROW(),column(),4,1,"12345")
at cell A7, type formula '=MID(A6,2,LEN(A6)-2)
at cell A8, type formula '=LEFT(A7,5)&MID(A7,8,LEN(A7)-6)

Once you have that setup, select all three cells and drag copy across them
across spreadsheet horizontally as far as you need your alpha characters to
go. Once you have that, you can Copy, Paste Special Values with the
'Transpose' checkbox selected at any spot within your workbook and you will
have your rows.

As you can see, there really is no simple automatic way. BTW, this will work
in any version of Excel. -- HTH --

MikeB

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

Auto Numbering is just like it says... Numbering. It does not know the
alphabet. You are not going to have a lot of luck on that one. As an Aside
what did you want it to do when it gets pas Z? Should it be AA or ???
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"MJ" wrote:

I am trying to use the Auto-Numbering feature but with alphabets:

what I need; to auto add the alphabet when i drag scroll down so it should
look like this:
12345A
12345B
12345C

Currently i just keep getting a copy of the first cell
12345A
12345A etc,.

any suggestions or ideas if that is possible in excel 2003