Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PJ[_3_] PJ[_3_] is offline

Default Regex Syllables, Harlan Grove?

On Apr 30, 12:58*pm, Harlan Grove wrote:
PJ wrote...
Good Morning, I am not very sofisticated when it comes to these
things,is there a way to count syllables using regex. If I had the
word "understand" in A1 I would like it to return 3. I need to do this
for a reader reliablility formula that I am working on. Any help would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Can't do this with regular expressions.

Since most languages using single phoneme alphabets (e.g., Latin,
Cyrillic, Greek, Arabic) have no consistent rules with regard to
dividing words into syllables, there's no alternative to looking up
words in a dictionary list to determine the number of syllables. The
dictionary list would need to look something like

the * * the
foobar *foo * * bar
banana *ba * * *na * * *na

that is, the word in the first field, the syllables in the subsequent
fields, so the number of syllables equals the number of fields in the
matching record less one.

Thanks.