Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Fred Smith[_4_] Fred Smith[_4_] is offline

Default How do I calc the time difference in hh:mm for shift work?

You're not giving up, are you?

I agree people typically want to enter data with the minimum of keystrokes.
I always enter times using 24-hour notation, regardless of how the cell is
formatted. However, formatting a cell and entering data are two separate and
distinct functions. You can easily enter a 24-hour time into a cell that's
formatted for AM/PM.

You could even do it yourself before you insist that it can't be done in
your next reply.

Regards,
Fred.

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:13:55 +0100, "David Biddulph" <groups [at]
biddulph.org.uk wrote:

If you want to use 12 hour format, then of course you need to include the
AM
or PM. That's what 12 hour format is.

People entering start times or stop times typically do not want to futz
around with any more than the least sized set of keypresses. So most
would opt for hh:mm entry, which means that one MUST use 24 hr format for
a sheet set up for quick entry.

So you will see time tracking where 24 hr format is utilized more often
than forcing a person to enter long format time declarations.