Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Tom Hutchins Tom Hutchins is offline

Default Regex Syllables, Harlan Grove?

I can't help you with regex, but you could use the following user-defined
function to count the vowels in a cell:

Public Function CountVowels(TxtIn As String) As Long
Dim x As Long
CountVowels = 0
For x = 1 To Len(TxtIn)
Select Case UCase(Mid(TxtIn, x, 1))
Case "A", "E", "I", "O", "U"
CountVowels = CountVowels + 1
Case Else
'do nothing
End Select
Next x
End Function

This code should be palced in a general VBA module in your workbook.

You would call it like this (enter as a formula in a cell):

=CountVowels(A1)

If you are new to user-defined functions (macros), this link to Jon
Peltier's site may be helpful:
http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/200...e-elses-macro/

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"PJ" wrote:

Good Morning, I am not very sofisticated when it comes to these
things,is there a way to count syllables using regex. If I had the
word "understand" in A1 I would like it to return 3. I need to do this
for a reader reliablility formula that I am working on. Any help would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!