Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Max Value of conditional list

How can the date list be longer than the machine list?

It would have to be like this:

Machine1...date
...................date
...................date
Machine2...date
...................date
...................date
...................date

If you can fill in the blanks so that you have this:

Machine1...date
Machine1...date
Machine1...date
Machine2...date
Machine2...date
Machine2...date
Machine2...date

Then it would be fairly easy to get the max date. It's also fairly easy to
fill in the blanks if you need to.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"jkiser" wrote in message
I have a list of machines (MACHINE LIST) and another list of dates (DATE
LIST). The DATE list has the dates that each machine was used . The DATE
list is much longer than the MACHINE list because each machine has been
used
multiple times on different dates.

I want to make a report that shows the last date each machine was used. I
could accomplish this by sorting the DATE list and then manually comparing
the two lists. But, I'd have to do that every time they were updated. I
want to automate the process.

Is there a formula that would give me the max date from the DATE list for
each entry on the MACHINE list.....something like a "MAXIF"

Thanks