Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CINDY CINDY is offline

Default Compare & sum previous month production by workday.

Roger, thank you for the advice and the offer of help. Actually I do
understand the difference between storing data and reporting, I have dabbled
a bit in Access and wrote a small P.O./Maintenance program for our trucking
company. Unfortunately, this spreadsheet is a monster that my boss likes and
is not interested in changing, so...............LOL

Off topic, my husband, a programmer, has said the same thing as you for
years about this spreadsheet. When I read what you wrote the thought crossed
my mind to ask if you were my husband. He, of course, thought it was
hilarious!

Cindy

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Cindy

I'm not saying it is impossible to do what you want, but it would be very
complicated.
Unfortunately, you have confused the storage of data, with reporting. They
would be best on separate sheets.
All of your data for the year (or longer) should be held on one sheet in the
format
Date Pounds Hours
with a row for each day going down the sheet.

Then you should have a Report sheet which pulls across the data that you
want to see, relative to an Start date that you give at the top of the
sheet.

It would be quite easy to convert your existing data to the new layout with
a small amount of VBA.
If you are able to send me your workbook, I would be happy to convert it for
you and return.
To mail direct, send to
roger at technology4u dot co dot uk
Change the at and dots to make valid email address

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Cindy" wrote in message
I need a formula to compare the pound production of the current month, by
workdays, with the previous month. I have turned sumif and countif every
way
I can and still can't get it to give me right total pounds.

To complicate the problem, the spreadsheet has the days across the rows
with
a column for hours next to each day and then a week to date total at the
end
of each week.

I have Excel 2007.

Ex.
Monday 2/3 Tuesday 2/4 Wednesday 2/5 Thursday 2/6 Friday 2/7
WeektoDate
Pounds Hours Pounds Hours Pounds Hours Pounds Hours Pounds Hours
Pounds

11111 6.5 22222 7.0 33333 7.0 44444 7.0 55555 6.5
166665

There is then a column with the Month to date total. I have added a
column
after that and want it to show the matching workdays amounts. Meaning, if
have only 13 days of production so far this month I want the total of the
first 13 days of production in the previous month. Both months are in the
same workbook.