Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Lori Miller Lori Miller is offline

Default How do you make a chart with right angles only?

i think it works because the series formula changes ";" to ","
in arrays. A simpler option is to use:

=SERIES(,(Sheet1!A2:A5,Sheet1!A1:A5),(Sheet1!B1:B4 ,Sheet1!B1:B5),1)

which applies to line and area charts with time scale x-axis, i.e.
dates or integers, but not to XY charts due to the data ordering.

"Tushar Mehta" wrote in
message ...
Nicely done! I'm not sure why it works since the formulas yield 2D arrays
but it works.
--
Tushar Mehta
http://www.tushar-mehta.com

"Lori Miller" wrote:

To make a dynamic chart you can use insert name define...

eg: X_Values: =Sheet1!$A$1:$A$5 ; Y_Values: =Sheet1!$B$1:$B$5

StepX: =X_Values+{0,0}
StepY: =LOOKUP(ROW(Y_Values)-{1,0},ROW(Y_Values),Y_Values)

Now set the chart formula to: =SERIES(,Sheet1!StepX,Sheet1!StepY,1)

"Theresa9599" wrote in message
I have a set of data with times and a bunch of 0's and 1's. For
example,
at
1:30 p.m., I have a 0....2:00 p.m., I have a 1...2:30 p.m. I have a 0,
etc.

I have my 0's and 1's set up on the vertical axis and the times along
the
horizontal axis.

I want my chart to show horizontal and vertical lines ONLY. IE: I
want
point at "0" at 1:30 p.m., then I want a horizontal line over to 2:00
p.m.,
and then I want a line going straight up to "1", and then I want a
horizontal
line over to 2:30 p.m., and then I want a vertical line straight down
"0",
etc.

Currently, I am getting diagonal lines connecting the points.

Is what I am trying to achieve possible, and if so, how?

Thank you!