Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
joeu2004 joeu2004 is offline

Default PPMT Function Repost

Clarification and errata....

I wrote:
The formula is a little perverse because of the mixed signs for
pv, fv and pmt; and I hope I got it right.

1. If you write the terms of the loan with mixed signs, for example:

120,000,000 Lease amount (pv)
-30,000,000 Residual amount (fv)
8.25% Annual interest rate (monthly rate r = 8.25%/12)
120 Monthly payments

Note that fv is negative, and PMT(8.25%/12,120,120000000,-30000000,t)
returns a negative number, where t is the payment type (0 for in arrears; 1
for in advance).

In that case, I would compute the principal and interest components of the
payment as negative numbers, which differs from PPMT and IPMT. And I would
maintain the balance due as a negative number.

Thus, the formula for the principal and interest paid between periods i and
k, inclusive, of n periods is:

principal paid: =FV(r,i-1,pmt,pv,t) - FV(r,k,pmt,pv,t)

interest paid: =pmt*(k-i+1) - FV(r,i-1,pmt,pv,t) + FV(r,k,pmt,pv,t)

Note: The signs of the amounts -- positive pv and negative fv, pmt, etc are
chosen from the point of view of the borrower. They could be flipped for
the lender's point of view. The only requirement is that pv and fv/pmt have
opposite signs. I would make the sign of the balance due, principal and
interest paid the same as the sign of pmt, which is consistent with the
straight-forward use of the FV function.

2. If you write the terms of the loan with unsigned values, which is typical
of loan calculators and amortization schedules, for example:

120,000,000 Lease amount (pv)
30,000,000 Residual amount (fv)
8.25% Annual interest rate (monthly rate r = 8.25%/12)
120 Monthly payments

Note that fv is positive. To make pmt postive, use
PMT(8.25%/12,120,-120000000,30000000,t).

In that case, I would compute the principal and interest components of the
payment as positive numbers, similar to PPMT and IPMT. And I would maintain
the balance due as a positive number.

Thus, the formula for the principal and interest paid between periods i and
k, inclusive, of n periods is:

principal paid: =FV(r,i-1,pmt,-pv,t) - FV(r,k,pmt,-pv,t)

interest paid: =pmt*(k-i+1) - FV(r,i-1,pmt,-pv,t) + FV(r,k,pmt,-pv,t)

Note that the only difference between these formulas in #2 versus #1 is:
(a) using of -pv instead of pv in all formulas; and (b) reversing FV(i-1)
and FV(k) to return consistent signs.

The difference between these formulas and my previously posted formulas is
the consistent sign of pmt, principal paid and interest paid.