Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bengt[_3_] Bengt[_3_] is offline

Default Concatencation and formatting

To find out what the thousands separator really is, I checked the Format
Cells dialog box. To the right of the check box "Use Thousands separator",
you see two parenthesis and nothing between them. Am I correct in
interpreting this as what you have suggested below, namely that the thousands
separator indeed is set to a space?

Bengt
"Rick Rothstein" skrev:

I am not absolutely sure that I understand the reason for this behaviour,

Is the thousands separator set as the space character on your system? If so,
that would probably account for the problem you are having... Excel is
assuming any space (without the backslash "escape" character) means to break
your numbers up using with thousand separators... the backslash in front of
a character tells the formatting function to show that character exactly as
it is, not as the formatting function would normally interpret it.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Bengt" wrote in message
Thanks very much for your input. I finally got it to work, adding a space
after the backslash. This is what works:

A1="12345"
B1="Crossroads"
C1=TEXT(a1;"000\ 00")&" "&B1

displays as
123 45 Crossroads

I am not absolutely sure that I understand the reason for this behaviour,
but for the time being, I am quite happy that it works.

Thanks again

Bengt

"Ron Rosenfeld" skrev:

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 07:06:05 -0700, Bengt

wrote:

Thanks for your input. I did what you suggested. The formatting code
that
appears is "000\00" and when I apply that, Excel's response is "123405".
Is
there a problem with characters here. Should the backslash be some other
character?

I also tried the formatting code "000 00" but that resulted in "12 345"

So I am still confused.

Bengt

1. Very weird to have that backslash. It tells Excel to treat the next
character as a literal, which means it is wanting to put a literal zero
in that
space. So I would expect that 12345 would, using that code, display as
123405
(which it does).

2. Perhaps you are not seeing a <space after the "\". In other words,
perhaps it is really 000\ 00, which would work, and display 123 45.

3. Could there be some issue with the data itself, or with the
translation of
the TEXT formula into Swedish? I think the function name is the same,
but you
probably need to be using the semi-colon as a separator.

Since the code 000\00 displays, as I would expect it should -- 123405 --
, I
suspect your data is OK.

4. When you select A1, and examine the formula bar at the top, what do
you
see?

5. Can you copy/paste the TEXT formula that you are using?

--ron