Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AdrenalinR AdrenalinR is offline

Default if statements using words

So I have a spread sheet with 4 columns Months and section are lists,
subsection is a list dependant on the choice from section.
A B C D
1 Month Section Subsection Cost
2
3
4
5

I then have a second sheet that I want to add up total costs based on Month
and subsection, much like below.

Jan Feb Mar Apr
Subsection 1 =
Subsection 2
Subsection 3

i thought an if statement with an if statment with a sumif in it would work
like this..

=IF(Sheet1!A2:A6="January",IF(SUMIF(Sheet1!c2:c6," Subsection
1",Sheet!D2:D6)0,SUMIF(Sheet1!c2:c6,"Subsectio n 1",Sheet!D2:D6),""),"")

But it doesn't and i think it's cause you can't have an if statement of
"IF(Sheet1!A2:A6="January"," or maybe there is even an easier way to write it
but in any case... i'm stumped and need help