Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default INDEX MIN function?

Thank you for the feedback!
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200847

"MrRJ" wrote:

Gary,
Your the MAN! Thanks a million!

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

This solution uses two extra columns to simplify the formulas. In D1 enter:

=MIN(IF($A$1:$A$100=A1,$C$1:$C$100,"")) and copy down
This is an array formula that must be entered with CNTRL-SHFT-ENTER rather
than just the ENTER key.

In E1 enter:

=MATCH(D1,$C$1:$C$100,FALSE) and copy down

In F1 enter:

=OFFSET($B$1,E1-1,0) and copy down
we now see:
9876 ABC Divison 145 112 2 Smart Move
9876 Smart Move 112 112 2 Smart Move
1234 TextileCo. 456 78 4 MMM Inc.
1234 MMM Inc. 78 78 4 MMM Inc.
1234 YAM 345 78 4 MMM Inc.
1234 Bee Corp. 154 78 4 MMM Inc.

The logic is:

column D get the minimum for each group
column E finds the minimum (row) for each group
column F retrieves the name

You can always combine formulas to remove the need for extra columns.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200847

"MrRJ" wrote:

Hello,
I am thinking of using INDEX function, but not quite sure how to approach it.

Here is my sample data. I need to produce the last column with a formula.
Any ideas? If Column A is the same then what is the lowest value in Column C
then the answer is in Column B.
Results needed
9876 ABC Divison 145 Smart Move
9876 Smart Move 112 Smart Move