Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jo Jo is offline

Default Mouse selects only multiple cells

Solution Found.

After searching around the Internet, I discovered what the problem is. It
happens when you're in Page View, and it seems to get triggered when you work
in Page View. When I take that sheet off Page View and change it to Normal
View, it's fine. And at some point, after working in Normal View for a while,
it seems to correct the problem even when I'm in Page View. So the trick is
to change it out of Page View; if that doesn't solve it right away, save the
spreadsheet in Normal View, shut down Excel and reload it and the
spreadsheet. That should do the trick.

It's obvious this is a bug in Excel 2007. Alas, I saw reports of it well
back into 2008, so perhaps it's not considered a serious enough bug for MS to
fix. I hope they change their minds on that. It's awfully frustrating not
knowing why it's misbehaving so strangely. Meanwhile, I hope this post helps
out someone else who has this problem.

Jo

"Jo" wrote:

Occasionally I get this weird thing where the mouse will suddenly insist on
selecting more than one cell when I click on a cell, usually cells in the
same column and adjascent rows. In other words, if I click on C3, it will
highlight C3:C4 or even C3:C5 or more. If I click and hold the left mouse
button, the cell info field (upper left of the screen) changes from the cell
number (e.g. C3) to "2R x 1C". I don't understand why it does this multiple
selection, and I don't know what I do to finally disable it. It doesn't do it
all the time, so obviously something must disable it (or correct the problem).

I've been working with macros a lot lately, but none of the macros seem to
permanently change a setting that selects more than one cell by default, but
maybe I just don't recognize a problem from a macro.

Please help? Thanks.