Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier[_3_] Roger Govier[_3_] is offline

Default Getting production times calculated

Eh? Why so complicated?

Since the OP had expressed his results as General numbers, I kind of figured
he'd want to have his results in that format.
Of course, I may well have been wrong in making such an assumption.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Roger Govier" <roger@technology4unospamdotcodotuk wrote in message
Hi Bob

You have 2 errors (I believe).
If you want the Time taken per Piece, you should divide Time / Pieces.
You divided Pieces / Time and with a result cell formatted as General,
that gave you 238.6

However, Excel stores its times as fractions of a day, so we need to
multiply Time *24 to get to hours and then *60 to get to minutes.
So, with Time in A1, and Pieces in B1
=(A1*24*60)/B1 or =(A1*1440)/B1 formatted as General
gives the result of 6.0353 minutes per piece.

If, on the other hand you did want Pieces picked per Minute, then it
would be
=B1/(A1*1440)
which would give a result of 0.1657 pieces per minute

Eh? Why so complicated?
Time in A1 (formatted hh.mm.ss), pieces in B1 (formatted in numbers), in
C1 put A1/B1 (formatted in hh.mm.ss) gives 00.6.02 per piece.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level