Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Niek Otten Niek Otten is offline

Default VLOOKUP if target appears more than once in a list

<a lot more complicated

But if you do need it, here is a description of how to do that:

Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"T. Valko" wrote in message
On Sheet2:

A1 = Apple
A2 = Apple

This array formula** will return the corresponding values in *descending
order*. Based on your sample the results would be:

..........A..........B
1.....apple.......3
2.....apple.......2

Array entered** in B1:

=LARGE(IF(Sheet1!A$2:A$5=A1,Sheet1!B$2:B$5),COUNTI F(A$1:A1,A1))

Copy down as needed.

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER). Hold down both the CTRL key and the
SHIFT key then hit ENTER.

If you want the results to appear in the *exact* same sequence as they
appear on Sheet1 then the formula gets a lot more complicated.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Kartz" wrote in message
Hi
I am trying to use a Vlookup formula from a list of items

THIS IS PAGE 1 (with the list)
A B
1 Sales Qty
2 Apple 3
3 Mango 4
4 Orange 1
5 Apple 2

I want to show in PAGE 2 as follows:
A B
1 Apple 3
2 Apple 2

When I try to vlookup the values for Apple in Page 2 using
=vlookup(A1,page1$A$1:$B$5,2,0), I get "3". But even if I drag the
formula
down, I still get 3 as the formula picks up the first value relating to
apple.

Can someone tell me how to use a formula to pick up the "2" in the second
line? Should I be using some other formula other than VLOOKUP?