Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Concatencation and formatting

The backslash means the zero is to be placed at that location as a zero, not
a meta-character representing a number. I think the problem you are having
with the space is because your local setting probably uses the space as a
"thousands separator", so I think Excel is seeing the space and reading it
as number of more than 3 digits need to be separated with the "thousands
separator". Try the formula this way and see if it works (note the backslash
in front of the space)...

A1 = 12345
B1 = TEXT(A1,"###\ ##")
C1 = "Cross road"
D1 = B1 & C1

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Bengt" wrote in message
Thanks for your input. I did what you suggested. The formatting code that
appears is "000\00" and when I apply that, Excel's response is "123405".
Is
there a problem with characters here. Should the backslash be some other
character?

I also tried the formatting code "000 00" but that resulted in "12 345"

So I am still confused.

Bengt

"Ron Rosenfeld" skrev:

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 04:13:01 -0700, Bengt

wrote:

I am trying to concatenate two cells. One of the cells is formatted
using the
"Special" option on Format Cells. The formatting I have been using is
the one
for postal codes, and for Swedish use, the postal code is normally
formatted
as
123 45, i.e. three digits, a space and then two digits.

The formatting applied on the cell when it is by itself works fine. When
concatenate the postal code with something else, the formatting doesn't
work
anymore. I suspect that I could use the TEXT-function, and give a
formatting
instruction as the second argument, something like this:
=A1&Text(B1;"format code")

but I couldn't find what format code to use.

Anyone knows?

The way to determine the Format Code is:

After you have selected the Swedish Postnumber code in the Format
Number dialog box, Select the "Custom" Category and use the code
displayed in
the Type: entry box.

On my system, this displays "000 00"

--ron