Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default count a value in a date range based on a date in another workshee.

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet2!A$1:A$10=A1),--(Sheet2!Z$1:Z$10="x"))

Copy down as needed.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"marsjune68" wrote in message
I want to count the number of "x" in a given date range in sheet2. sheet1
has
every date listed from Jan1 2009 thru Dec 31 2009 I want to see daily
how
many "X" I have. The total should post in to col B of sheet1.

Sheet 1 has dates in col A col B is where I want the result from the
cout
of "X" to go.

date total
col A col B
row1: 1/1/09 3
row2: 1/2/09 2
row3: 1/3/09 1
row4: 1/4/09

SHEET 2
has multiple entries for each day

date "X" or "Y"
col A col Z
row1: 1/1/09 x
row2: 1/1/09 y
row3: 1/1/09 x
row4: 1/1/09 x
row5: 1/2/09 y
row6: 1/2/09 x
row7: 1/2/09 x
row8: 1/3/09 y
row9: 1/3/09 x
row10: 1/3/09 y

I am killing myself trying to figure it out but I can not. I hope it is a
easy one. But I can not figure it out. If someone could help me I would be
happy.