Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Strip Out Four Characters, then Average

I'm confused.

Do you have this formula ="(-30.5)"
or do you have the actual text "(-30.5)" or even the text ="(-30.5)"

Maybe one of these--just keep adding more (not too many more!) =substitute()'s:

=AVERAGE(--SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(AD8:AD12,"(",""), ")",""),"""",""))
(still an array formula)

And I didn't include the another =substitute() to remove the = sign.

ryguy7272 wrote:

I posted this onto the end of a post that I put up earlier today. This is
tough and I can't tell if people stopped reading the old post or if no one
has been able to come up with a solution.

Basically, this is the scenario:
New request; just a bit different. I have this kind of setup in several
cells:
="(-30.5)"

This will eliminate the left parentheses:
=SUBSTITUTE(AD8,CHAR(40),"")

This gets rid of the right:
=SUBSTITUTE(AD8,CHAR(41),"")

Also, I have to get rid of the quotes!! Four characters need to be
stripped, and I want to calculate an average on top of that!! I know it's a
tall order. Can it be done?

I tried this, committed with CSE:
=AVERAGE(--SUBSTITUTE(AD8:AD12,CHAR(40),""))--SUBSTITUTE(AD8:AD12,CHAR(41),"")

That didn't work, but even if it did, I would still need to strip out the
quotes somehow. Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Ryan---

--