Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Keith Keith is offline

Default Problem creating a logarithmic trend line

Hello,

I created a simple series consisting of two columns.

Column A contains the numbers 1, 2, 3, etc. through 50
Column B contains the formula =log(A2), etc where the cell references A2,
A3, A4,€¦ A51 correspond to the numbers in column A. The numbers and headings
are located in spreadsheet range A1:B51 I have pasted a comma delimited set
of the actual numbers below.

I then created two graphs. The first graph is a line graph of the series.
It shows the log curve. The second graph is an XY(scatter chart) of the
series. Both graphs show essentially, the same image: one is a line, the
second is a series of dots.

Using the €śadd trend line€ť option with the scatter chart, I should be able
to add a trend line that traces the log curve. However, I see that adding a
€ślogarithmic€ť trend line is not an option in Excel, or this logarithmic
series. I wonder why this is so, and if there is some way to add a
logarithmic trend line to a scatter chart. I have some data that is showing
a logarithmic pattern and would like to see the trend line included.

Following is a comma-delimited list of the numbers/formulas to be graphed.
Just past the headings and numbers into a range beginning with cell A1, make
sure the formulas are recognized as formulas, and you should be able to
recreate the graphs.

N,Log of N
1,=log(A2)
2,=log(A3)