Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Trendline (Power) Best Practice

Perhaps you could explain to us in what way you think that "Excel doesn't
like to plot zeroes"?
You did say that these were the Y values on an X-Y chart, didn't you?
The usual problem which folk have is how to stop Excel plotting as zeroes
values which are generated for example by a formula returning the string "";
I have not heard any suggestion that real zeroes won't be plotted. Please
tell us more.
If you have genuinely empty cells, as distinct from zeroes, Tools/ Options/
Chart gives the option of plottting as zeroes, omitting, or interpolating.
--
David Biddulph

"Dave" wrote in message
Excel doesn't like to plot zeroes, so I have to compensate for the null
with
something or not plot them.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Perhaps you could expand on "Excel doesn't like it"?
Did Excel give an error message? If so, what?
--
David Biddulph

"Dave" wrote in message
I have 9,000+ data points that need to be in an X Y Scatter Chart.
About
50%
only have an X Value, but the absence of the Y Factor is important
data.
It
represents no actions were needed for a 6 month period of time.

If I remove those missing the Y Factor, the time spent is overstated.
If
place a zero, Excel doesn't like it. I have inserted a .0000001 for
the
missing Y Factor and then I get a misrepresentation the opposite way.

I have added all the values and averaged for a single point and non of
the
plots or computed trend-lines hits the mark.

Am I going about this wrong and is there an accepted practice for
missing
values?

Thanks

Dave