Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Archimedes' Lever Archimedes' Lever is offline

Default VLOOKUP ?

Try hitting 'Ctrl-D' while in those non-filling cells. It should copy
the formula in the cell immediately above it, and add one count to
certain cell calls. If it is wrong, you can edit it.

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 09:34:05 -0700, PAL
wrote:

When I try =VLOOKUP($A2,ABC,54,FALSE) it gives the same thing. The reason I
have the IF statement is that if there is no date, I don't want a zero, just
a blank.

For your last question, it should be a "Y", that is the value in the source
field.

It seems for the two fields it can't look up the value.

"PJFry" wrote:

The problem might lie with the expression of
IF(VLOOKUP($A2,ABC,54,FALSE)="","",VLOOKUP($A2,ABC ,54,FALSE)). The way the
formula is written in redundant. If the result of the formula is "", then
you don't need to say -then give me ""-. The VLOOKUP($A2,ABC,54,FALSE) is
sufficient. It is like saying if the answer is A, then give me A otherwise
give me the answer, which is A. Are you looking for an error?

Next, can you tell what the value is supposed to be when it returns a zero?
Make sure that the lookup value on your source data sheet is not zero.

PJ

"PAL" wrote:

I am working with a file w/ multiple sheets. The raw data is on a sheet
called ABC which is copied from another file.

One of my analysis sheets has 132 rows.

This formula will return a Y or N: =VLOOKUP(A2,ABC,21,FALSE)

This formula will return a date if it is not blank:
=IF(VLOOKUP($A2,ABC,54,FALSE)="","",VLOOKUP($A2,AB C,54,FALSE))

I copy this formula down to the last row. It seems the data won't appear for
a single row in the middle of the table. 131 rows are correct. For the bad
row, I get a zero instead of Y or N and blanks for the dates.

I have checked to ensure the format is right, General for the first, and a
date format for the second. I have also deleted the row and tried again. I
really prefer to get it autopopulated then manually put in the data.

Help.