Bob Phillips

Sounds like you need a combobox or list box,and tie some code to the
selection to get the value. Or else you could put the LEFT formula result in
another cell altogether.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Gabe" wrote in message
I would like to use a data validation - List and enter only the first
character from that list.
For example my list is below and named "Types"

C - Construction
D - Demolition
E - Equipment Installation
R - Repair

The cell to be filled only needs the first letter not the whole content of
the list.
I try to use LEFT function in the Validation Source and I can not make it
work with
The name source "=Left(=Types,1)"
Can someone help or suggest a different way use the data validation, like
use two columns display the description in one and enter data from the

other.

Thanks.