Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Roger is offline

Default File Opening Trouble

Sorry but none of these seem to work. I have posts under msg
"Open excel files" and "Can't open an excel file (have......"

At this point I suspect my problem can be traced to a botched removal of
Office 2007 and editing the registry per instructions from MS at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218

After removing all traces of Office 2007 and 2003 I could find I did fresh
install of 2003 and have installed all updates and compatability pack
available but I either can not open an .XLS file with dbl click or have to
put up with three error messages.

TO ALL who respond. I will try your suggestions and only make another post
when something works.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)
(xl2003 menus)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets some of the windows registry to
excel's factory defaults.

JGreg7 wrote:

When I double click on an Excel file to open it, I get a series of messages
that files can not be found as follows:

Personal.xls is lockedテ「ぎツヲ
C:\My.xls cannot be foundテ「ぎツヲ.
C:\Documents.xls cannot be foundテ「ぎツヲ.
C:\Documents.xls cannot be foundテ「ぎツヲ.
C:\and.xls cannot be foundテ「ぎツヲ.
C:\Settings.xls cannot be foundテ「ぎツヲ.etc.

It seems to be trying to open each word in the directory path as a separate
file. The separation seems to occur whenever it reaches a space or a slash
in the file path. This only happens with Excel files. All other files work
normally. Opening the file in Excel using the menu file/openテ「ぎツヲ. works
normally.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

(Windows XP SP2, Office 2003)

--