Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula computing problem

Because you don't necessarily use those numbers in the calculation, you take
the MAX/Min of I9 and 100 so it is changing, so your overall result should
only be based the results of the formal on the sum of all source data, not
the sum of the individual results.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"M Thompson" wrote in message
Sorry-didn't explain properly. If I do a total of the data I've input
(I9-I11), the result is 855.29. The result of the calculation on that is
20.10, which is correct and what I need to see. If I don't do a total of
the
input data, but do a sum of the calculated answers for each individual
piece
it comes to 24.25. Why so much difference?

--
OneFineDay

"T. Valko" wrote:

Are you saying that the total of:

-14.42 + -7.93 + -1.91

Should be -20.10

If so, you'll have to explain why you think that should be the result.

The formulas are returning the correct results. Maybe they're not doing
what
you think they're doing.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"M Thompson" wrote in message
I'm hoping someone somewhere can tell me what's happening and how to
fix
it.
This is the formula I'm using:
=-MAX(0,MIN(I9,100)*0.05)+-MAX(0,(I9-100)*0.02) and copy down through
I11

Starting in I9 I have the following amounts.
I Results i'm getting
570.75 (14.42)
246.36 (7.93)
38.18 (1.91)

If I do a Total cell and use the same calculation on it, the answer
will
be
20.10, which is what I expect. The results of 9-11 are obviously going
total to more than 20.10. Can someone explain what's happening and is
there
a way to fix it so that the results are reasonably in line. It seems
me
to be too big a difference to be a rounding thing??

Thanks
--
OneFineDay