Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default Formatting 'X' Axis -- 2 fundamental differences

You can select the column of pseudo dates in the sheet, and use Data menu
Text to Columns. Choose Fixed Width in step 1, then remove any breaks into
separate columns in step 2, and in step 3, select Date in the top right, and
choose the order of date elements.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Francis L. Kulchar" wrote in message
You have helped me before several times, and I appreciate it!

Is there a way to fix the 2nd case to arrive at the 1st case?

FLKulchar
"Jon Peltier" wrote in message
In the second case, Excel has made a category axis, treating your dates
as nonnumeric labels. Perhaps the dates were imported from some other
source and were pasted into Excel as text.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"F. Lawrence Kulchar" wrote
in message ...
I have many Line-type charts, all of which have as the X axis, the DATE.

When I right click on the "X" axis, I get 2 distinctly different type
options under "SCALE" as follows:

1) FORMAT AXIS
Patterns Scale Font Number Alignment

minimum

maximum

base unit

major unit

minor unit

value (Y) axis
crosses at

Date in Reverse Order Value (Y) axis crosses between dates

Value (Y) axis crosses at maximum value

OR...

I get:

2) Patterns Scale Font
Number
Alignment

Value (Y) axis crosses
at category number

Number of categories
between tick-mark labels

Number of categories
between tick marks

IN ANY EVENT, I FAIL TO UNDERSTAND WHY, UNDER "SCALE", WHEN I FORMAT
THE
"X" AXIS,
I GET THESE 2 OPTIONS DESCRIBED ABOVE, BECAUSE..

"I BELIEVE THE CHARTS ARE IDENTICAL!"

Can someone please help me???

Thank you,

FLKulchar