Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default What formula should I use to count a number of records?

Mixed interpretations of your needs.

To count all computers use the COUNTA function

To count specific computers use the COUNTIF function.

Gord

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 11:08:00 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:

Change the format to General then re-enter the formula.

F2 then ENTER

But use the COUNTA function.

COUNT function counts only numeric cells.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:41:01 -0700, Princesshera1
wrote:

"Gordon" wrote:

"Princesshera1" wrote in message
I have version 2003......I haven't gotten any error messages.....I just
want
to count the total number of computers I have listed.

That's what the Excel COUNT function will do.......Click on the fx button
and choose COUNT. It will walk you through the process.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

I am using text as my criteria, not numbers. I typed in the following formula : =countif(b2:b56,"Optiplex 755") using the process given. When I tried it in the actual cell and hit the enter key to show the program I was done typing, the count was not listed, the formula was.