Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default What formula should I use to count a number of records?

Looks like you want the COUNTIF function

=COUNTIF(B2:B56,"Optiplex 755")

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:41:01 -0700, Princesshera1
wrote:

"Gordon" wrote:

"Princesshera1" wrote in message
I have version 2003......I haven't gotten any error messages.....I just
want
to count the total number of computers I have listed.

That's what the Excel COUNT function will do.......Click on the fx button
and choose COUNT. It will walk you through the process.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

I am using text as my criteria, not numbers. I typed in the following formula : =countif(b2:b56,"Optiplex 755") using the process given. When I tried it in the actual cell and hit the enter key to show the program I was done typing, the count was not listed, the formula was.