Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pierre Pierre is offline

Default Excel insists on adding character to formula

On Mar 31, 4:03*pm, "T. Valko" wrote:
What is in the cell that might precede the ".124"?

If it's a number like 1.124 then the wildcards won't work. Wildcards don't
work on numbers, they only work on text.

If it's a text string like A.124 then try this:

IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*.124*"),"yes"

The squiggly brackets { } denote an array constant. Since you're only using
a single criteria they're not needed.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Pierre" wrote in message

Have a formula

What I would like: ,IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*"&{.124}&"*"),"yes"

Excel "insists on placing a zero" before the dot in front of the 124

What it changes to by pressing enter:
,IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*"&{0.124}&"*"),"yes"

I need the dot in the formula as to only check if the "124"
immediately follows the dot, and not a 124 which may occur someplace
within the cells contents. *If I leave the zero in the formula, if
does not return the correct answer.

Is there a way around this apparent quirk?

Thank you.
pierre- Hide quoted text -

Makes sense. . .Thank you, I'll try it in the AM, and report back.

Pierre