Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Converting Identification Number to Birthday

=IF(A1="","",
IF(LEFT(A1,1)="P","",TEXT(DATE(YEAR(2000),MID(A1,3 ,2),MID(A1,5,2)),"dd mmm")))

WildWill wrote:

I have a cell (A1) that could contain one of two types of data:

1) Passport Number which is in the format of "PXXXXX" where X = numeric
digits.
2) a standard ID number which has the format "YYMMDD XXXX XX X" where the
first 6 digits represent the persons birth date. I need a formula that will
look into the data entered into A1, and:

If the entered data is in the format of the Passport Number, do nothing.
If the entered data is in the format of the id number, extract the day and
month of the persons birthdate and place that data in B1, with the format '15
Feb" - not showing the year value.

--

Dave Peterson