Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jo Jo is offline

Default Specify a font from a formula?

Is there a way to have more than one font in the same cell, when the contents
are generated by a function? In other words, is there any way to control the
font of a specific character in a cell through a function? Conditional
formatting won't do this because it will apply only to part of the cell
contents, not the whole cell.

I am using a special font for certain symbols, but I want to combine these
with regular text in the same cell. For example, say I want to combine an
arrow from Wingdings (è character) with the text of a date "28-Mar-2009" in
another font (e.g. Arial).

I can do it if I type it all directly into a cell -- I can block out the è
and select Wingdings as the font, and it will format just that one character
and leave the rest of the contents in the original font. So I keep thinking
there must be a way to wrap the special character inside a function that
would specify a particular font, but I haven't found anything like that so
far.

Does anyone know of a way to do this in a formula?

Thanks in advance for the help.