Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default List Duplicates

If you are using 2007 you can use the menu function
'Remove duplicates'. Sorry that I am not sure
whether this is available in previous versions.

It is not.

Another way, and probably the easiest, is to use Advanced filter to extract
the unique values.

Let's assume your data is in the range A1:A10.

Select the range A1:A10
Goto the menu DataFilterAdvanced filter
Answer the prompt about using a column header.
Select Copy to another location
Copy to: B1
Select: Unique records only
OK

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Jacob Skaria" wrote in message
If you are using 2007 you can use the menu function 'Remove duplicates'.
Sorry that I am not sure whether this is available in previous versions.

Another way is Sort Column A in ascending order. Apply thiis formula in B2
and then copy that upto B100. This will return the distinct values in
Column
B. Copy the entire column and Paste special there itself and sort to get
the
unique list.

=IF(A3<A2,A2,"")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Francis" wrote:

Column A1 through A100 contains a list of names, some of which are
duplicated. what is the formula in Column B that will list only the names
in
column A, but only list them once if they are duplicated and also names
that
are not duplicate

TIA
--