Dino

Thanks for all your input. I have to try these solutions and see what the
results are.

"Dino" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet of names, and I need to assign a unique number to each
of the names. Some entries are repeated, so each duplicate should have the
same number. The numbers assigned would be in a different column than the
names. For example, the result I need would look like this:
1 John Smith
1 John Smith
2 Carla Jones
3 Jenny Fortuna
4 James Wood
4 James Wood

and so on. Is there a formula that I can use to accomplish this, so I don't
have to go through the entire spreadsheet and type these numbers in? If
anyone can help, thanks.