Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculation using IF

You've got things back to front. Text strings have quote marks around them;
numbers don't.
--
David Biddulph

"Rankine93" <Bill wrote in message
I want to use the IF function to perform a simple calculation. In cell C4 I
would enter one of three place names. In cell F4 I'd like the formula to
use
a numeric value depending on the place name in C4. Then I'd like to use
the
numeric value to perform a calculation involving other cells e.g.

If I enter Philadelphia into C4 Excel 2003 in F4 would use the value 0.50
multiply by a volume entered into D4, say 75000.
If ,however, I enter Baltimore into C4 the value to be used in F4 would be
0.75 then multiply that by D4 -75000.
If I enter Washington into C4 the F4 value used would be 1.00.

=IF(C4=Philadelphia,"0.50",IF(C4=Baltimore,"0.75", IF(C4=Washington,"1.00")))*D4

At the moment I'm getting an answer of 0 instead of 37,500 for
Philadelphia;
56,250 for Baltimore and 75,000 for Washington.
The people using this spreadsheet should be able to enter a destination
and
a volume to arrive at an overall rate.

--
Bill R