Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default How to parse long spaced entry into multiple cells???

Highlight column A by clicking the A identifier at the top of the
column, then click on Data | Text-to-columns and in the wizard select
Delimited text with space as the delimiter. Work your way through the
3 panels of the wizard and when you click Finish your data will be
parsed for you.

If I understand your later post correctly, if you have spaces in a
brand name these appear as commas, so after you have parsed the main
text you can just highlight the brand name column and use Find/Replace
(CTRL-H) to replace a comma with a space.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Mar 20, 1:21*am, Robert Blass wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean? could you explain some?

thanks

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:58:45 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca
sayd the following:

I get the split into 14 columns A through N *using space delimited.

Gord Dibben *MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 20:34:06 -0400, Robert Blass
wrote:

Using Execl 97'

The labels for each piece of the line of data would be as follows.

Year, Brand name, Length, Filter, Package, Strength, Flavor, Style,
Package Type, TAR, Nicotine, Caron Monoxide, UPC Code1, UPC Code2

That is 17 separate labels, but they would be coming from one long
string in ONE cell, here are a few examples.

cell a1 = 2005 BASIC KING F SP FULL-FLA S 15 1.1 15 0 286212 9 BJ4X05
cell a2 = 2005 BASIC 100 F SP FULL-FLA S 15 1.1 16 0 286232 3 BJ8X05
cell a3 = 2005 BASIC 100 F SP LT S 10 0.8 13 0 286272 1 BX8X05

Some have commas , maybe 1% at best, so you can see how hard it would
be to set their ,line by line, translating these..driving me crazy..

Is there a simple way to convert that long string in each cell into 14
different cells represented by the labels I mentioned earlier?

thanks!- Hide quoted text -