Biff

Hi!

In that formula FIND looks for a space and uses the MATCH function to tell
it where to START looking. MATCH returns the position of the first digit in
the string.

+1 means: FIND the space and add 1 to the position at which the space is
found since you want to extract data to the right of the space. Assume the
space is in position 10 of the string. The data you want to extract starts
in position 11.

255 is the number of characters to return. Basically, 255 is just an
arbitrary large number that pretty much guaratees that everything to the
right will be returned without having to actually count how many characters
there are from the starting point of FIND to the end of the string.

47 and <58:

Those are the character code numbers for the digits. The char code for zero
is 48 and the char code for 9 is 57.

0 = 48
1 = 49
2 = 50
3 = 51
9 = 57

In the formula, we want to find the first instance any char code that is
greater than char code 47 and less than char code 58.

Biff

"gbeard" wrote in message
om...
Biff,
Let me guess...does the +1255 allow for that many letters to "get"? Also,
what does the 47 & <58 do?

--
Gary Beard