Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Automatic Sequential numbers

The \/ is not one symbol. It is a backslash \ followed by a forward slash /
The whole "TC\/000;;" is a custom formatting string which the TEXT function
can use to define the format of its output.
--
David Biddulph

Neni wrote:
Brillant! it works, thanks ever so much!
Out of information, (sorry not very expert in formulas), what means
TC\/000;;"? What is the \/ symbol?

Neni

I think this formula does what you want...

=TEXT((ROW(A1)+9)*(B2<""),"TC\/000;;")

Just place it in the "start cell" and copy it down as far as needed.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Neni" wrote in message
I need to create a formula that will fill in automatically the
sequential number FC/010, FC/011, FC/012 on the cell next to the
one where I insert information.

Ex.
Contract number Contract title
TC/010 Supply of uniforms
TC/011 Courier services
TC/012 Supply of cleaning services
Supply of paper
As I type the contract title on cell B the contract number should
fill in automatically on cell A

So far I've only managed to get a logical formula that does the
function but
filling sequential numbers without letters, 1,2,3,4
=IF(ISTEXT(B2),ROW()," ")
I've also searched the excel help tool, and I found that it would be
possible through using VBA functions which I have no idea how to
do. Far too
advanced for me...
Any easier solution?

--