Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Shane Devenshire Shane Devenshire is offline

Default How do I count the number of items that meet 2 criteria?

Hi,

And you are correct, in 2007 you could do that with

=COUNTIFS(H6:H1000,"<"&AB1,C6:C1000,"6*")

provided the invoice numbers were entered as text.

It all the invoice numbers were entered as numbers and they all had the same
number of digits you could use (in 2007):

=COUNTIFS(B2:B5,"399999",B2:B5,"<500000")

However, if those coditions were not met you might still need to use the
SUMPRODUCT function shown in your earlier responses.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"2seas" wrote:

What I'm trying to do is count how many invoice numbers starting with 6 where
completed by a certain date. I've got a column with the date it was
completed and a column of invoice numbers.

Here's what I have so far:
for the date =COUNTIF(H6:H1000,"<"&AB1)
for the invoice numbers =COUNTIF(C6:C1000,"6*")

I just can't get it where it counts them if the row matchs both.

I'm useing Excel 2003 and I'm not allowed to upgrade it, otherwise I would
use the COUNTIFS function in Excel 2007.