Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rose Rose is offline

Default Using the contents of a ADDRESS formula as the cell range in a for

We have a workbook, 2 spreadsheets - 1 data, 1 report. On the report is the
date in B3, will be typed in manually each time. On the data sheet are many
columns, the first of which is the date for the calendar year. In other
columns there are numbers that are typed in, and formulas in others (some of
which are DIV/0 due copydown).

What we want to do is to get the cell range for data!A2:Athe cell that
contains report!B3, and average the contents of, say column B for those same
rows.

We've found various ways of getting the mysterious and dynamic cell ref for
the final cell - CELL, OFFSET, etc, but we can't get the contents (not the
value) into another formula.

I found a formula at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/excelF.htm that makes
getting the cell range tidy, since the date will also be typed into Awhatever
each time, so that's good. But we're stymied on how to get the calculated
cell range to be the cell range in an averaging formula.

Thanks!!