Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Charles Williams Charles Williams is offline

Default Question about repeated usage of a formula

Assuming that Weight is something like $B$11:$B$1000 and Volume
$C$11:$C$1000 then in E10 put =Weight/Volume and copy down.
This is using Implicit Intersection: Excel uses the current row from Weight
and Volume

If you want to do the same thing but on different rows for example starting
at E1 then select E1:E990 and enter =Weight/Volume using Control/Shift/Enter
so that you are creating a multi-row array formula.

regards
Charles
___________________________________
The Excel Calculation Site
http://www.decisionmodels.com

"G.R. Toro" wrote in message
m...
Here is my question (BTW, I am using Excel 2003):

I have a table of values, and I have given each column in the table a name
(created with Insert|Name|Define). For instance, these names may be
something like

Price | Weight | Volume | Age | etc., beginning at address A10
100 | 3 | 10 | 6 |
20 | 5 | 7 | 1 |

Now, I want to create a new column with values derived from the values in
this table. The difficulty is that I would like to have the formula (for
instance, =Weight/Volume) in one place only (say, cell B1), in such as way
that I can change the formula in B1 and cause the change to propagate to
the entire new column of my table.

In essence, what I would like is a function that says: evaluate the
formula in $B$1 as if that formula had been written in the current cell.
It's something like =offset($b$1,0,0) or =indirect("$B$1"), but for
formulas involving Names.

Thanks,

Gabriel