Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default CSV File Will Not Open Directly in Excel 2003

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to 2003 excel.exe.

In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes
required)OK.

If no joy with that, post back and we can propose another fix.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:34:58 -0700 (PDT), Anna_Stephanie
wrote:

We have a CSV file that we receive as an email attachment. I am using
Excel 2003 with SP3 and the unblock file types registry changes
applied. When I double-click on the CSV file attachment to open it in
Excel 2003, I receive an error message of, "This file is not in a
recognizable format...." . I have checked the regional options and the
list separator is selected as a comma. I have checked Windows Explorer
and the CSV file format is set to open in Excel. I am using a Low
Macro security setting in Excel 2003. If I open Excel 2003 and then
open this file and run through the import file wizard, I am able to
view the file. Users are complaining that that is too many steps to
have to follow to view the file contents.

The strange thing is that I am able to directly open this file
attachment using Excel 2007.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.