Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dan dan is offline

Default Combining databases

Christine,

You can use the brute-force =VLOOKUP command.

1. Sort the 1000 record database according to whatever matches in the 300
record database. Let's say it is 'NAME'. Make sure NAME is the first column
of the 1000 record database. Let's also assume NAME is the first column of
the 300 record database. Both databases start in column A.

2. Let's say you need the value of 'PHONE', and 'PHONE' is the... sixth
column of the 1000 record database.

3. The 300 record database is in Sheet1, and the 1000 recird database is in
Sheet2

4. Use this function: =vlookup(A1,Sheet2!$a$1:$J$1000,6,FALSE), whe

A1 = the cell containing the match between the two databases.
Sheet2!$a$1:$J$1000 = The range of the second database.
6 = I want the value in the sixth column
FALSE = Return an error if I do not find a matching record.

Cheers!

--Dan