Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron@Buy Ron@Buy is offline

Default Negative time displaying as #####

Try widening the column or reducing the font size

"Carla" wrote:

Hi,

I currently have two times (formatted as general). Eg. 0525 (cell A2) and
0105 (cell B2). I have calculated the difference between the two times using
the following formula:
=TIME(LEFT(B2,2),RIGHT(B2,2),0) -TIME(LEFT(A2,2),RIGHT(A2,2),0) + (B2<A2)

The problem comes when I try to override either cell B2 or cell A2. The
output cell then gives me #### when the number is negative, or the wrong
result when it is positive. Even if I change the formatting of A2 and B2 to
custom (h:mm AM/PM), I get the same result (####) though I have also changed
the formula to a simple subtraction of B2-A2.

Does anyone have any suggestions - do I change the time format used, or the
subtraction formula?

Thanks in advance
--
Carla