Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Opening files from Outlook/Explorer to separate windows in Excel 2

It's always safest not to open the Excel file from Outlook, but to save the
attachment and then open it.
--
David Biddulph

"Andrew Woodworth" <Andrew wrote in
message ...
This problem is driving me nuts.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to open each Excel file in a separate
process,
separate window, giving my users the ability to work with the Windows side
by
side. Knowing this isn't possible or easy, my users have become
accustomed
to opening two instances of Excel.

The problem I have occurs when people are opening Excel files attached to
email messages in outlook or when double-clicking a file from Explorer.
Before our upgrade to new PCs and Windows Vista, if the user wanted to
have
two files open side by side, they would open two Excel instances. To
target
a particular window, they would simply give focus to the Excel instance in
which they wanted the document to open. Double-clicking the attachment in
Excel or Explorer would open the document in the window which last had
focus.
This worked beautifully.

Now that we have upgraded to Windows Vista, this method no longer works.
Launching a file by double-clicking the file always opens in the file in
the
first instance of Excel without regard for which Excel instance last had
focus. For opening files from Explorer, we have a workaround; we can
simply
drag and drop the file to the desired instance. The problem occurs in
Outlook; there is no way to open an attachment except in the default
instance
of Excel.

Can anyone tell me how have these files open in a new window? I'm trying
find a well supported method thatr doesn't involve breaking DDE
applications
and hacking the registry.

Thanks.