Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SEKKDS SEKKDS is offline

Default How do I insert a cell without making a column?

Let's say I start an Excel spreadsheet and I have data in A1, and A2, and
A3... now let's say I need to insert something between A2 and A3, so when I
do, A4 will have the A3 data... (follow me?). My question is, how do I get A3
to move automatically to B1 instead.

In other words, if I have an objective to keep data to only 3-column wide
spreadsheet, how do I insert data without Excel moving other data to the 4th
column? How do I make the data automatically move down instead of over when
it hits a boundary?

Visually, this is what I want:

A B C
D E F
G H I

and when I right click, and insert something (Bw) between cell-B and cell-C,
I want C to go down AUTOMATICALLY, instead of over automatically, so it goes:

A B Bw
C D E
F G H

and NOT:

A B Bw C
D E F
G H I

Thanks folks, I hope my question is understandable.