Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sherri Sherri is offline

Default Find resulting text in column of functions

I am looking for the non blank answer because it could be any name.
Let's say I have 20 people, working in 6 possible locations, in 2 possible
positions and with varied availability. I am trying to get a schedule
established, so I have a column in another sheet for location1-position1 and
depending on availability someone's name will show up in that column. So it
goes for location1-position2, etc.
Sometimes 2 or 3 people will rotate to fill the position, so that column
will have 2 or 3 names.
I have the name(s) show up in the column, but I can't transfer them into a
schedule on another sheet.

"GSnyder" wrote:

Sherri,

I'm a little confused. Can you clarify a little more? When you say you're
looking for "that name," are you looking for a specific name out of many or
are you looking for the first nonblank "" name in that column?

Can you perhaps provide an example?

Thanks!

"Sherri" wrote:

Cells A3:A100 each contain a formula which will result in either a name or "
". How can I retreive that name when I don't know which row it will be in.
I have many columns of similar formulas and each name will appear in a
different row.
I have tried the lookup, but because each cell contains a formula, I believe
it considers every cell not blank. I hope this is clear.

Thanks,