Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe Joe is offline

Default value vs formula

If the cell contains a formula it is just a normal formuala like =A1+A2 or
=IF(A1="","",A1+A2). Maybe there is an easier way to do this. Some background:

I have two sheets. Lets call them sheet A and Sheet B.

Sheet A is a balance sheet and profit and loss financial statement. I enter
my data in this sheet.

Sheet B is a running accumulation of each months financials. On sheet B I
have the financial data for Jan, then in the next columns I have the same
thing for Feb, and so on.

The cells in the columns in sheet B contain formulas that fill themselves in
by what is entered in sheet A. I know this is kind of backwards but it's the
way this workbook is stuctured.

When I enterd Jan data in Sheet A it automatically fills in Column A in
sheet B. Since the columns in sheet B or looking at sheet A, the only way I
can retain the Jan data on sheet B is to copy it and then paste values. This
makes it stay there. Then as I enter Feb data in Sheet A, sheet B column B
looks at it column heading which would be Feb and sees the date of Feb on
Sheet A and fills itself in with the data from sheet A.

This brings me to what I was asking about. I wanted a warning on Sheet A
with conditional formatting that gave me a STOP message if the column in
Sheet B was still in the fromula form and had not been copied and value
pasted. This way I would not be losing all my Jan data in Sheet B as I
changed the date in Sheet A.

The actual formula I ended up in Sheet A is:

=IF(MONTH(A7)=MONTH(TODAY())-2,IF(isformula(INDEX(Months!T5:AE5,MATCH(A7,Months !T1:AE1,0))),"STOP!","GO"),"OK")

A7 is the cell where I enter the date of the month I am closing. In this
case it is 2/28/2009.

T5:AE5 is the range of cells to check to see if the data in the form of a
formula or just a number.

T1:AE1 is the range of cells that contain the text that tells each column
what month they are.

The formula looks at a column in Sheet B that corresponds to the previous
month and if it is still in formula form it says STOP! and if it is just
number values it says GO or OK. The -2 is because I am always 2 months ahead
of the closed month. I close Feb the first week in March and it in this case
it would be Jan that would need to be not lost.

Thanks

"driller" wrote:

just curious, how are these categorized; (value or formula)

for a cell that contains either <excluding quotes " "s

"=25"

or

"25"

any suggestion.

(does a formula need an operator=1 ; i.e +/-/*)

--
regards